Archaeological Museum Kondapur -Sangareddy District

Archaeological Museum Kondapur -Sangareddy District: Archaeological Museum Kondapur is located on a small hillock about one km towards south of the village Kondapur. Kondapur has located 15 Km from Sangareddy and 60 Km from Medak.

The excavations made at Kondapur have brought to light the remains of the Satavahana dynasty and the Buddhist era. The exhibits from this museum are basically retrieved from an ancient mound locally known as Kotagadda (Fort Mound) located at a distance of one km east of the museum.


Archaeological Museum Kondapur

Archaeological Museum Kondapur -Sangareddy District


The Archaeological Museum Kondapur site was first explored by the famous Archaeologist Mr. Henry Cousens in the early years of the 19th century. Later it was passed on to the Department of Archaeology of the erstwhile Hyderabad State under H.E.H. the Nizam of Hyderabad who carried on a series of excavations at this mound in 1940.

Initially, the museum was established with the excavated material over the ancient site itself which was later shifted to the present building. In 1952 the museum came under the administrative control of the Archaeological Survey of India. Most of the artifacts displayed in the museum have been unearthed during this period.

The Archaeological Museum Kondapur contains about 8,100 antiquities at present. The museum has a central hall and two more galleries, it has a rich collection of minor antiquities unearthed during 1940-1942. The museum houses the coins of the Satavahana, the remains of Chaityas, and Stupas indicating the Kondapur as a great Buddhist center and also bead pieces of Terracota bangles, Shell, Ivory, Copper, and Glass embossed with designs.

The Museum has a large number of antiquities displayed, it indicates different facets of the material culture of the early historic period such as pottery, terracotta figurines, bone and shell objects, metal objects, talismans, pendants, beads, inscribed pottery, and coins, etc.

Coins were unearthed from the Fort Mound belonging to various different dynasties and cultures are displayed here. The gold coin belonging to the Roman Emperor Augustus of 37 BC and 14 AD, along with a dozen silver coins and 50 lead coins are on display at the Museum.

The Archaeological Museum Kondapur also displays a wide collection of construction material like brick tiles, sharpening stones, molded bricks, and designed panels that are displayed in the main hall. Prehistoric tools and fossils are exhibited in the galleries. Apart from these objects, a couple of sculptures, a Buddhapada, a standing image of four-handed Vishnu carved on a door jamb, and two inscribed storage jars are other attractive pieces in this gallery.

The Archaeological Museum also displays Ajanta paintings and houses a separate manuscript section. The rare manuscripts include a copy of the Quran that carries the seal of Shah Jahan. A corner of the museum is also dedicated to the Egyptian Mummy which was bought for 1000 pounds by the son-in-law of VI Nizam Mahbub Ali Khan and presented to the last Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan as a gift.

The Archaeological Museum Kondapur is an excellent place to visit and have a glimpse at these excellent Archaeological collections of history.




SHARE IT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Telugu News papers

Andhra Pradesh Districts

Andhra Pradesh Govt Schemes

Top